ETA: This contest is now CLOSED to entries. Finalists will be posted on October 21st and 22nd, and voting will open on October 23rd. Good luck!
Here what’s to do if you want to enter:
- Write the beginning of a spooky/scary/suspenseful story (up to three sentences). Make it original, make it surprising, make us want to read more.
- Enter it in the form below along with your name and email address (we will only use contact info to reach the winner–not for any other purposes). Entries are due by October 16.
- Check back on October 21st and 22nd to see if you’re a finalist.
- Visit our site on October 31 (Halloween!) to find out if you are the winner of a $20 online giftcard for Powell’s bookstore and a copy of Dead Girl in Love by our own Linda Joy Singleton.
Here’s what to do if you want to vote for the winner:
- Visit our site on October 21st and 22nd to read the finalists’ story openings.
- Come back any time between October 23rd and October 30th to cast your vote for the one opening you like best.
- Find out who won on Halloween, October 31st.
Okay, get your ideas going and write those story beginnings. Remember to make them spooky, scary, or suspenseful (but not gory or violent–think PG 13 or under) in honor of Halloween. Of course it’s great if your story opening fits in the speculative fiction genre, but it doesn’t have to. And keep them between 1 and 3 sentences. Good luck!