A few random tidbits that relate to spec fic and were heard from speakers at the SCBWI conference in New York and other anonymous professionals with whom I met:
- The paranormal rage is (finally) subsiding.
- Dystopias are still going strong, with plenty of submissions still coming in.
- High-concept reigns. If you can’t describe it very briefly and make it sound hooky, it’s going to be a tough sell.
- From an agent: “Editors keep saying they want middle-grade, but then they won’t buy it. I’m not going to believe them any more.”
- From an art director: Cover art is trending away from faces.
- Next trend, perhaps? Historicals. Flapper steampunk. Or contemporary “normal” YA about “normal” teens.
Since “normal” doesn’t sound like much fun to us here at The Spec, I’ll take that as a call to battle. Let’s give them some good abnormal stories!